Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Media has Sexually Harassed Us

I have decided to come forward to report a crime which has prevailed too long in our culture. I along with every man and women have been sexually abused, harassed, and molested by the media since we were old enough to watch tv, open a magazine, and look at a billboard. The criminals are the media companies and corporations who pay them to come up with and distribute these criminal acts. If any of these acts took place in the work place the company would most likely be sued for sexual harassment. We have been bombarded by sexual innuendos, nudity and flagrant attempts to get us to enter into inappropriate sexual relationships. If I just drink that beer or buy that car or put on that perfume I will look sexier and satisfy that drummed up innate urge to mate all in the name of buying some company's product or service.

We ourselves have perpetuated these criminal acts by falling victim to purchasing the products or services, by giggling at them, by just turning the other shoulder, and by absolutely not standing up for what we know are morally wrong and illegal acts. The toll on us individually and on our families is devastating at the very least. As a man we now are so programmed to look at women sexually and apart from most obvious men, most women don't even notice our inspection. Hold on women you're not off the hook here. You barely wear any cloths; put inflatable bags filled with salt water in your chest so you can show them to everyone. Please admit you do this to attract attention just like the media does. We are all damaged by these crimes. You laugh at this and chalk it up sex is fun and everyone does, so let's figure out what the results these crimes have done to our culture.

  • Between 40-60% of high school girls diet (so they can be thin and sexy)
  • In 1960 there were 9.6 rapes per 100,000 people compared to 31.7 in 2005 a 330% increase
  • Approximately 95% of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused
  • 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls will be sexually abused by time their 18
  • About 44% of rape victims are under age 18, and 80% are under age 30

I'll venture a guess that this increase in sex related crimes are due to the fact that the media uses sex to sell almost everything. It gets at and feeds our innate instinct to reproduce. However, it's not about reproducing it's about seeking gratification of our sexual urges. The problem is that it's everywhere by the time a female is 12 she's realized her worth to society is about the way she looks compared to these perfectly proportion sexy models/actresses/performers in the media. No wonder rape and sexual abuse is growing. How about going to the zoo and jump in the lions cage when they have not been feed to two weeks with blood smeared all over you. Why has the media committed these crimes? Like most business related crimes it's all backed by greed. So what do we do? So where do I report this crime? How do I live with these crimes all around me? Leave your thoughts; I will continue this in few weeks after I see what everyone thinks.